Gunter Rigging Dimensions

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

albacore43

Gunter Rigging Dimensions

Post by albacore43 »

I have just acquired another Otter, an early gunter-rigged no.158.
It has come with all original fittings and sails (in surprisingly reasonable condition) but with one exception; the standing rigging.
Whilst I can have this made-up by one of the usual suppliers, I am not in a position to let them have the overall dimensions.
Can any good soul out there with a similar rig help me out?
What's the betting that reliable cweed will be the one???

cweed

Re: Gunter Rigging Dimensions

Post by cweed »

Hello Albacore 43........

As luck has it, my Otter, 199 is also gunter. I may have the opportunity of visiting it / her this weekend and if so will measure up. The masthead shroud ends are attached to an s/s collar with tangs whilst the hull ends are onto adjustable chainplates. the forestay has a lanyard to attach to the bow eye anchorage, although I have also added a bottlescrew for security. (I store the mast inside the boat when not sailing). Mine is a rotating mast set on the deck on a pin.
I'll measure the mast length as well (a Collar!) in case yours is different.

springer5

Post by springer5 »

Hi cweed

Did you measure your mast and gaff in the end?

I'd also be quite interested in the dimensions of them. I have a later Otter with a one-piece alloy mast and I am toying with tte idea of making a wooden Gunter setup for it to replace that. Probably using the Mirror as a guide for the rigging arrangements, but the spar lengths and diameters would be really useful.

Thanks

albacore43

Post by albacore43 »

Springer 5,
If you are going to fit a gunter mirror rig then I can help with dimensions.
I also have Otter 530 to which I fitted the same.
Using a standard alloy Mirror mast, I ordered 2 No. shrouds from Jimmy Green Chandlery with the Mirror "top-loop" one end and talurit eye at the other.
From the lower part of the "Mirror-loop"( where the straight wire starts to run) to the far end of the talurit eye measured 3080mm.
I did not need to order a forestay; any old Mirror one will suffice since the measurement is not critical here.
If it helps, their address is http://www.jimmygreen.co.uk.
My order of 10.01 2012 was No. JGM12735 (I e-mailed them a drawing) and the total cost incl. vat & postage was £30.32p

cweed

Post by cweed »

Last year I forgot to measure.............. but I have now:

Anyone reading this, please remember that on my boat, the mast is deck stepped and rotates on a pin set on the foredeck. The boom is attached as per a Finn, it passes through the mast.

Mast: Wood, 3.34m long, D shape, flat of D, (rear face) 5cms, 'height/thickness of spar (D shape) 5.5cms. Unlike the Mirror mast as mentioned by Albacore 43, the shrouds, forestay and jib halyard are attached by a stainless fitting secured to the mast head, with the gaff halyard passing over a sheave set into the spar.

Boom: Wood, 2.36m long (measured from rear face of mast to end of boom), x 5.5cms x 3cms (transom sheeting), Kicking Strap keyway is set so that when the kicker key is located it is 49cms from flat face of mast.

Gaff: Wood, 3.205m long, 'lower end' x 4.5cms x 4.05cms , 'top end.' 3.5cms x 3.5cms. The cheeks to hug the mast are slightly padded out. I didn't measure the attachment point for the halyard. Post a comment if anyone needs this.

I also use a jibstick which is invaluable for goosewinging, it is 91cms length, round section, 3 cms in centre to 2 cms each end. Brass hook each end. It is not original to the boat, but looks and works very well.

I have an alloy spinnaker pole, it is not original.

Hope this helps.

springer5

Post by springer5 »

Hi albacore & cweed

Thank you both very much for all this really useful info. I am very tempted to try the idea of making and fitting a wooden gunter rig to my Otter (sail no 640). It currently has a one-piece alloy bermudan rigged mast which is great for the performance side of things but recently my brother, who has a different gunter rigged boat sat there grinning from ear to ear when we were out sailing together recently as he just "dipped" the spar of his gunter rig as he passed under a low bridge whilst I did battle with lowering my whole mast...in a breeze,...while I drifted towards the bank...hard work!!
It got me thinking that gunter may be much more suited to my cruising needs. The details you've provided are really helpful.

Thanks again.