Hello

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

Birdy

Hello

Post by Birdy »

Hello All.
Thought you might like an introduction string - who's who and what's yours called sort of thing. Also it might give some idea of how many Otters there are still in use and what mods folk have done.
We're Dave & Ann-Marie and we're rescuing an Otter this weekend, it was Ann-Marie's Dad's, it's free, and we haven't seen it yet (Ooh-er!).
I'll post again when we've got it home and had a good look at what we've got.
TTFN :D

Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Well we got it home, made all new wooden bits and replaced all the string, epoxy sealed round the seats, painted the inside with light blue Brightside and put it in the water last Saturday. What a smashing little boat! Easy to tow, easy to rig, easy to launch even without a trolly, and it seems to be very easy to look after. The only thing I've changed from the original spec is the kicker - I've put two Seasure blocks on it, not so much for the gain, more for speed and ease of use.
I feel it's going to get used a lot. :D
We've got the original rigging diagram from the builder if any one should need it.
TTFN
Dave

crow

fun,fun,fun!

Post by crow »

its good to know there are others who think otters are fantastic boats. I have been taking sea scouts out in mine and teaching total beginners to sail and giving them an idea of what to do before pushing them off into the sunset in oppies!

Al

Rigging diagram for Otter

Post by Al »

Hi Dave,
I have recently aquired an Otter but have no recent knowledge of modern boats. The last time I sailed was 40 years ago, and I wish to interest my grandchildren in the gentle art.
I would be very greatful if you could let me have the rigging diagram which you have to help with the setup. Any other info would be much appreciated.
Al

rogerbrain

otter rigging

Post by rogerbrain »

Hi Dave, (Birdy)
I too have taken on an otter, and as it came in bits! would also appreciate the rigging details if you can manage them for me too
Many Thanks,
Roger

TopCat

Post by TopCat »

Hi I am the proud owner of an Otter just bought it, Sail No 30. Have no clue how to sail :) just went for a few short trips in my brother's (bigger) dinghy. I would really appreciate the rigging diagram also.
Dumb question: How come my boom seems to tilt down at an angle? Very difficult to get under when tacking...:)
Tom

juls2200

Post by juls2200 »

If I remember correctly the boom should be more or less parallel to the cockpit floor. If it is not then either you are trying to use a sail that is too large i.e. not an Otter Sail or you have not pulled the sail to the top of the mast or the mast is too short or you have the mast raked back too far. If the last then slacken the shrouds and tighten the forestay.
sail in an environmentally friendly way