Mainsail Footing

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

ss007

Mainsail Footing

Post by ss007 »

Otter 640

I have just bought new sails for my Otter and they have arrived with the mainsail cut with a loose footing set up instead of what I was expecting which was a rope inside the sail that feeds through the boom. The sail makers are happy to change the sail for me but I wanted to check first what are the benefits/disadvantages of having the sail loose footed. I use the Otter for racing at my sailing club on a handicap basis using the PY number which is still uncertain but as I am not very good yet and I don't get a good enough placing to worry anyone as to whether it is correct.

Please can I have any comments as to whether I should keep the sail loose footed or not?

Thanks Steven

Arcy

Re: Mainsail Footing

Post by Arcy »

Hello, I'll be at my boat Wednesday and will measure them for you then if you don't get another answer first. . Cheers !

alant

Re: Mainsail Footing

Post by alant »

ss007 wrote:Otter 640

I have just bought new sails for my Otter and they have arrived with the mainsail cut with a loose footing set up instead of what I was expecting which was a rope inside the sail that feeds through the boom. The sail makers are happy to change the sail for me but I wanted to check first what are the benefits/disadvantages of having the sail loose footed. I use the Otter for racing at my sailing club on a handicap basis using the PY number which is still uncertain but as I am not very good yet and I don't get a good enough placing to worry anyone as to whether it is correct.

Please can I have any comments as to whether I should keep the sail loose footed or not?

Thanks Steven
If loose footed, the foot of the sail will belly when the outhaul is slackened, which should be beneficial when wind is lighter.