Centreboard.

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

Southern377

Centreboard.

Post by Southern377 »

Hi.

Now the keeper of Otter 465. The centreboard was jammed in the case but much squirting of Teflon lube has got it moving again but it is de-laminating along the top edge.

Has any one got experience of lifting the board out. I understand it is stirrup mounted. Can you extract it from the top?

In an earlier post "crow" suggested a galvanised plate, has anyone else done this? I just happen to have a firefly alloy plate sitting in the loft which is also stirrup mounted.....I was wondering........

Plan is to get existing board out and check if it can be rescued with epoxy? or provide a pattern for a new plywood board? or does anyone have a drawing or usable dimensions of the original specification please?

Alan.
Southern377.

justin

Re: Centreboard.

Post by justin »

As the keepers of otter 427, we have had the centreboard out at least twice. I don't remember exactly how it was mounted, but I remember it being no problem to take to pieces. My father did it the last time, and can certainly tell you more than me (I can put you in touch if it helps)

The first demounting was to fix the centreboard following an incident with a large cruiser and a rock in the narrow entrance to the Exe. The second demounting sounds a bit like yours; the ply started to delaminate. We got hold of some similar marine ply from one of the boatyards in Plymouth (Marine Projects, Lee Mill - I think). Actually this was free since on the scale of their operations it was a small offcut! We used the old centreboard as a template for the new one, and it works extremely well. The only slight oddity is that the new centreboard slowly lifts itself up when you are sailing - but this was easily fixed with a loop of shotcord around the handle.

Justin.

AdrianW

Post by AdrianW »

See our reply on 'original brochure' forum, re our problems with a jammed centre board. We have had it out several times, by unscrewing the holding stirrups at the top, and lifting out - a straight forward job.

Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

The centreboard is now out of 465. Quite badly scored at the top - think it is from the front of the slot. The board is 15mm thick but the gap between the arms of the stirrups is wider. Should the board be wider - then will it sit in the slot okay? or is there something else missing: spacers or washers?

Pictures here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/darkscreen3 ... April2009#
Hope it works......

The fit of the stirrups into the hole in the board is tight but I think it could move off centre by flexing the stirrups or sliding to one side or the other of the stirrup shaft? The resulting off centre movement could be causing the jamming?

I am now cutting a couple of large leather spacers to go between the board and the inside of the stirrup arms. Will report back on the result after testing on Monday.

What sort of centreboard brake is fitted? I will probably only bother with one if the board keeps dropping....

Squashed hose with two self tappers? any better suggestions?

Regards all,

Alan.

Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

Otter 465

Have finally worked out why the board was in such a state. When the bottom of the hull was repaired/strengthened after sailing off the beach at Angmering the repair has narrowed the width of the slot.

Returning in the morning armed with hacksaw, files and sandpaper to ease the situation. Problem is now that todays attempts have left the newly varnished board in need of more urgent need of replacement.

Further report soon....

Regards,

Alan

Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

Otter 465

The offending overlap of repair blocking the centreboard slot has now been romoved by hacksaw blade and file and the board now works but.....

I now need to refit a brake, any suggestions better than an old piece of hosepipe squashed (adjusted) by two self tapping screws?

She sailed nicely in the gentle Northerly breeze at Ardingly; the centreboard having a mind of it's own adding to the excitement when it un-noticed raised itself allowing us to drift into the 'tower' as we got the sails down.

Next jobs are to put new sheaves in both ends of the ancient Proctor mast and adjust the pintails on the rudder as it seems to be sitting far too high.

Alan.

rab

Post by rab »

Hi

I have recently acquired an otter (534) which, amongst other things, unfortunately has the centerboard stirrup missing. I wondered if anyone currently had one dismantled and would be able to supply dimensions, in particular the distance from the center of the pivot pin to the shoulder. Any information would be most helpful as I will have to fabricate one from scratch.

Many thanks

Richard

Southern377

Post by Southern377 »

Hi Richard,

The board is out of 465 at the moment. The stirrups are with the boat which I should be going to work on on Monday 11th Will take pictures and measurements and post.

Regards,

Alan.

rab

Post by rab »

Hi Alan

Many thanks for the offer, that would be very helpful, I look forward to your post.

regards

Richard

crow

Post by crow »

Much to my shame I am still making the replacement centreboard! This is mainly due to having too many toys and partly because I put the pivot somewhere safe so I would not loose it...
I have pulled my finger out and have started to fabricate a new pivot and hopefully will have time to finish soon

dave

Post by dave »

if your centerboard is loose in the case ie moving from side to side glue a couple of old cds to the plate this takes up he slack