Otter main

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

Bill

Otter main

Post by Bill »

I have joined Banbury sailing lb to do a little gentle sailing in my dotage.
The club has a little used bermudan rigged Otter. I am trying to make it useable.
I have replaced the torn jib with one from a Mirror (perfect fit) but the main has been badly chewed by mice and is totally ruined.
Sailing under jib alone may be too sedate even for me.
Has anyone got a useable main which they could pass on for a modest consideration?
Or know of a sail that would fit (like the mirror jib does)?

Southern377

Re: Otter main

Post by Southern377 »

HI Bill,

I too have a Mirror jib spare and will be trying it at some stage. I guess your rig is Bermudan?

I was also looking at what might fit and think these may be worth a look. Gull. Cadet. Heron. Graduate? or the later Mirror bermudan sail but I doubt there are many about.

There is a set of cadet sails currently on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0387825076

Regards.
Alan.

justin

Post by justin »

We replaced the sails (bermudan main and jib) on our Otter several years ago. We believe that the old sails were the original set, which prbably made them 25+ years old at the time of the replacement. The main was paper-thin and quite stretched, and in need of replacement, however my brother managed to finish it off by sailing 3-up in strong gusting winds. The result was a pretty major tear. We took the sails to a local sailmaker (I think he is called Andrew Hooper and the business is called 'the sailloft'. He operates in the Plymouth area). After some deliberation, we decided that the best course of action was to make a new set, using the old ones as a template. The new sails cost something around 250 pounds some years ago, but they have really transformed the boat. The upwind performance and heavy-weather handling are greatly improved. I guess that technically, we cannot race with these sails since they are not class-association approved. However they are as close to the originals as you could hope for, and in our amateur racing attempts, nobody seems to care.

If your budget stretches this far, I would really recommend new sails made in this way - either from Andrew, or from your local sailmaker. I'm almost certain that our old sails are in my parents loft (I seem to remember that Andrew made some patched repair to the old sails too). I guess my father would be happy to pass on the old sails to a good home, but I really wouldn't recommend anyone to use them again! However, it could be handy if somebody needs a template for new sails.

I hope this helps!
Justin.

ss007

Post by ss007 »

Otter 640

I have a set of Otter sails that are in good condition considering they are originals no damage etc. I have photos if you are interested.

Steven

ben

Post by ben »

Hi,
I spotted your post about Otter sails . Could you possibly let me know if you still have the sails or if you have sold them already?
Thanks!
Ben

ss007

Post by ss007 »

Ben

Sorry I have sold them.

Steven

diagobd2

Post by diagobd2 »

I was also looking at what might fit and think these may be worth a look. Gull. Cadet. Heron. Graduate? or the later Mirror bermudan sail but I doubt there are many about.