Northern Otter

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

acra

Northern Otter

Post by acra »

I'm looking for info on rigging an otter, I'm taking one one a long term loan from my local sailing club, Findhorn near Inverness, with a view to getting my kids more involved, did anyone get photos?

justin

Re: Northern Otter

Post by justin »

Hello 'acra',

I'm new on this site, so please forgive any 'newbie' mistakes!

My father, brother and I have been sailing an Otter (no. 427) for about 21 years. Primarily we have sailed in the Exe estuary, but sometimes in coastal waters too. Now my father has retired (in Devon) and I live in Trondheim, Norway. He has bought himself a 'Torch', and I plan to bring the Otter up here.

The purpose of the introduction was to convey the message that I/we have some experience with most things Otter related, and would be happy to provide any assistance that we can!

In your post, you ask about rigging. Maybe you can be more specific? what do you want to know and what sailplan does your Otter have? (The early Otter's were gaff/gunter rigged with a wooden mast, and the later ones were bermudan. As far as I know, no. 427 was one of the last gaff/gunters and was re-rigged as Bermudan with an aluminium mast when quite new). Thus, I can probably answer questions on the Bermudan rig a lot better!

Finally - the boat is in Devon and I am in Norway - so I can only answer things from memory. I will go to my parents for Christmas, so I will be in a better position to answer then. I'm sure we have many photographs too - but from the good old days of photography - so I have to find them and scan them in order to share them.

I have really enjoyed sailing the Otter and I hope for many more years of fjord cruising here... So, I would be very happy to try to contribute to Otter community!

Happy Sailing!