Outboard for an Otter

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

Benzibar

Outboard for an Otter

Post by Benzibar »

Hi guys. Totally new to the forum. I've just acquired a lovely little Otter with a Mirror rig. I've sanded her down and repainted the hull and interior, picture attached! Looking forward to some micro-cruising with my two lads, 5 and 9.

Question I have is this - what arrangement does anybody have for using an outboard with the Otter? I'm assuming something like a 2.5hp outboard would work, mounted to one side of the transom. But what kit for mounting - something that holds the outboard our away from the transom and away from the mainsheet I guess?

I will fit a topping lift to the gunter rig so I can keep the boom and yard clear of everything when motoring.
IMG_0114.jpg
IMG_0114.jpg (2.79 MiB) Viewed 4869 times

cweed

Re: Outboard for an Otter

Post by cweed »

You'll need to make sure the outboard clamps don't damage the transom, which is probably hollow on your boat.

Consider fitting a board each side of the transom to spread the stress, The outboard needs to be really tightly mounted to prevent it working loose, and also fit a line so if it does drop off, you don't lose the engine.

You may need to see if you can steer with the rudder when the engine is in use, and /or remove the rudder.

Not easy to raise the topmast of a gunter rig when afloat .