New Otter Dinghy

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

torchy

New Otter Dinghy

Post by torchy »

Hello,

New to this forum and to Otter Dinghies. I have just been given an Otter and would like to know a bit about her. There is no sail number but here are a few pics of her.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rogercarte ... 818325964/

I would be grateful if anyone has any information about the variant and approximate age.

I am sure I am going to be on here a lot as a try to figure out how to rig and maintain her.

Thanks, Roger.

fossil

Re: New Otter Dinghy

Post by fossil »

Hi Roger , well done for getting an Otter .
I don't know an awful amount about these boats as I've only just finished restoring mine and only been out in it twice .
From looking at your pictures I can see either I've got my mast foot wrong or there are more options , as mine sits fully on that plate with a pin either end keeping it in .
I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell us more .
I'm still learning about my boat :lol:

Ade

torchy

Post by torchy »

Hi, only took the boat over on Sunday. Hope to get down to her in next day or so and try rigging. Can't sail at the moment because of blue green algae at club. :( I will take some more pictures then.

Otter915

Post by Otter915 »

Hi mate,
Congratulations on getting a great little boat. As for its age it is hard to be sure but if I was to hazard a guess I would say that it was made within a few years of 1974 and its sail number is around 400 - (it may be stamped on the inside of the transom). It is not a really early one because it has a bermudan mast (although this could have been upgraded later) but it is older than my no. 915. Later ones like mine have the complete double skin and no access to the foredeck.

torchy

Post by torchy »

Hi, had a good look around today and can't find any markings or maker name.

springer5

Post by springer5 »

Hi Roger & welcome to the world of the Otter sailing dinghy.

If it's any help in ageing her. I (just like Otter915) have one of the later type designs with the double hull and enclosed gunwales, and mine is sail no. 640 so it definitely puts yours earlier than that.

For me personally, it's one of things I like about the Otter class that there's a fair dgree of individuality about many of them. I'm currently setting mine up for cruising and have added an aft locker and emptied out the enclosed foreward bouyancy to create a foreward locker (something that already exists on yours of course). There's a lot of potential for customising these little boats and they're very versatile.

Anyway, thanks for posting the photos, she looks like a nice little boat and I hope you have a lot of fun in her.

All the best.

Neal