Center board

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

fossil

Center board

Post by fossil »

Sorry another question ,
how is the center board held in the down position , mine has a rop on the end of the "handle" .
For transporting I have put a bungy over it and to the deck hold for the toe strap but how do i keep it in the down position ?

seahawk

Re: Center board

Post by seahawk »

Hello,
my otter 573 has a friction pad made of a short length of rubber hose adjusted by 2 screws which flatten it making the board stiff in the case, you dont want to hold it down firmly as it needs to lift when you sail into shallow water by mistake!

my board will still move as i found out when i tipped over and it fell into the slot so i couldnt pull it up to right the boat,not very good,i have looped some shock cord around the (handle ) part of the board back to the rear of the centre board case when on the water to keep the board down a little.I have not tried it since so i cannot say if its better.
I would like a better friction device if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks, Dave. :)

fossil

Post by fossil »

Hi Dave ,
Thanks for the reply , mine did have a piece of rubber on it but when i took it off to re-varnish it ( way back in 2005 ! , its taken a while :oops: ) one of the brass screws sheared off and I have since lost the piece of rubber , so as I had never put it in the case I didn't know of its purpose .

Can anyone suggest what kind of tube to get ?

Adrian

cweed

Post by cweed »

.........two lengths of hosepipe, one on each side of the centreboard, screwed on so that the board is held firmly but not immovable, is usually sufficiient.................

I prefer the ribbed or more rubbery pipe.

Arcy

Post by Arcy »

I agree with you cweed, that would be better.