Foam buoyancy location

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

Otter915

Foam buoyancy location

Post by Otter915 »

Hi guys,
I wish to check that the reserve foam buoyancy in my otter (915) is not waterlogged. I intend to fit a couple of inspection hatches and if necessary replace the foam with lots of plastic milk cartons tied together on a string. Does anyone know where the foam was placed so that I can locate the hatches within easy reach of it.
Regards James.

seahawk

Re: Foam buoyancy location

Post by seahawk »

hello james,
my otter 573 has foam slabs along the side bouyancy tanks,this was only part filling the tanks.
i had to reinforce the side /floor area as otters seem weak in this area and is a problem if badly fitted on your trailer. several have come up for sale needing repairs to the sides where rollers have supported badly.
I made a combination trolley /trailer which supports far better and in all the stronger places,sounds a good idea to add extra bouyancy .
hope this helps,Dave. :)

Otter915

Re: Foam buoyancy location

Post by Otter915 »

Thanks for that Dave, at least I now know to position the inspection hatches on the side tanks rather than the foredeck. Although with your otter being an earlier one than mine does it have a fully sealed foredeck or was it accessable for storage.
Regards James.