Otter tiller

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

chris1947

Otter tiller

Post by chris1947 »

My boat has a home made rudder & tiller, which I'm not happy with & I'd like to try to replicate the originals as closely as possible. The photos of the rudder etc on 530 are very helpful, could anyone send a photo of the tiller, plus any measurements.

Thanks

seahawk

Re: Otter tiller

Post by seahawk »

hello chris,
my otter is 573 pictured in the post below about sails,
the rudder looks original .the one in the earlier post is very similar,
looks like a rope to hold the blade down where mine has shock cord to let
it lift when i get shallow.the uphall is different ,mine goes through the stock.
If you are anywhere near somerset you are welcome to have a look and copy
mine or i can try to do some pictures, At the moment i have changed the tiller
design to a stronger type ,the original was cracked and repaired by a previous
owner on one of the side pieces ,ok but in a capsize situation it could swing up and damage
worse,then no steering!!! the tiller extension was bolted through and could not lift,only rotate
so a universal joint seems better.

I want to keep it near original but make things easier/ safer if that makes sense.
hope this helps.
lets hear from more otter owners , have a sail together sometime.

Dave. :)

chris1947

Post by chris1947 »

Thanks Seahawk

I live in Monmouthshire so a trip over to Somerset sometime sounds good.
I'm sure you're right about shock cord.

Chris

cweed

Post by cweed »

Hello.
For what it's worth, my tiller measures 42 inches from the inboard end to the rear of the rudder head, and the tiller extension is 32 inches long.
The tiller is as per the earlier Mirror dinghies in that it sits over and each side of the spine of the rudder head. I have bolted the tiller thru the head for strength. It is made of 3 pieces of laminated spruce, tapered toward the oinboard end.
The extension is the length it is so that I can sit on the centre thwart when single handed and steer on runs comfortably facing forward. I use a mechanical uj as a link to the tiller. If the extension was longer, it could foul the mainsheet, (transom sheeting) when tacking, if your method is to swing the extension over the stern when going about.
I doubt that there is a standard design for tiller building foor the Otter; I suggest you make it tidy but strong!
Best wishes, etc.