Otter 530

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

albacore43

Otter 530

Post by albacore43 »

I have recently acquired Otter 530 in a very tired and neglected state but intend to put that right and give it a new lease of life; bit like a rescue dog really.
If cweed reads this post, thank you for your advice!
Can anybody help me by letting me know the depth of the rudder below the bottom of the transom.
I have to make a new rudder and centreboard and replace all other woodwork.
I intend to revert to the original gunter rig which means that I no longer require the mast that came with the boat.(No boom or sails). If anyone is interested in the mast it does not have a makers plate but the gooseneckis a Proctor. The shrouds appear sound and the old halyard is still in place to make replacement a little easier.
It is a split mast and had been fitted with small rivets at one time through the collar (wouldn't have thought that necessary). These have been removed at some later date.
Having my first GRP boat in over 40 years sailing, I went on line to find out about GRP cleaners(the gelcoat is badly faded from years of exposure to all weathers).
Having seen the prices I decided to look in my cleaning cupboard to see what I could try that was not too abrasive or acid based. Decided to try CIF oven cleaner on a small area but not to leave on as you would in an oven.
Sprayed on, rubbed at once for a few seconds with a soft pan cleaner, wiped off with a soft dry cloth and gleaming gelcoat!
Back to the job in hand.

cweed

Re: Otter 530

Post by cweed »

Hello Albacore......
I've had a chance to measure my rudder on No. 199 and the blade protrudes some 46cms below the keel line of the hull. The shape is very similar to that of a Mirror dinghy. My tiller is 107cms long and the tiller extension is 84 cms. The extension is so that single handed I can sit on the thwart above the centreboard case and steer when running slightlt more comfortably than with my previous shorter extension.
The square grid is 10cms x10cms
The square grid is 10cms x10cms
Otter Rudder Outline resized .jpg (55.97 KiB) Viewed 15998 times
Hope this helps / you can understand!
Attachments
Otter Rudder Photo.resized jpg.jpg
Otter Rudder Photo.resized jpg.jpg (246.17 KiB) Viewed 15998 times

cweed

Post by cweed »

... didn't quite get this one right previously.......
Attachments
Otter Rudder Photo.Resize.jpg
Otter Rudder Photo.Resize.jpg (49.46 KiB) Viewed 15996 times

albacore43

Post by albacore43 »

Cweed; in case you did not receive my private message, thanks a million for the invaluable information.
It will be so much better to get it right rather than end up with a hit or miss effort.
Albacore43

Southern377

Re: Otter 530 Spare Mast

Post by Southern377 »

Hi Albacore43...

I would be interested in the mast. I have 465 which has a one piece proctor mast; a split one would make life much simpler when trailing. Where are you? You can email me on Southern377@aol.com as I don't think the pm facility here works.

465's rudder looks much the same as pictured but loos different as 465 is a version without the wooden trimmings!

Alan.

albacore43

Post by albacore43 »

Thanks for your post Southern 377.

Whilst we both live in the west of a county, in my case it is Norfolk; near Downham Market in fact.

If that hasn't discouraged you, then I would be quite happy to keep the mast until such time as you can collect or arrange collection.
For my part I do not know anyone that travels in your direction that could help out.

Over to you!

Dick

Southern377

Re: Otter 530 Mast

Post by Southern377 »

Hi Dick,

I guess broken down it is about 9 feet long? Do you think I would get away with carrying it on a train?

Whatever means of collection, I am interested. I may be able to collect myself by car or get someone passing to collect it for me.

Can you send me an email address via my earlier posting address and I will contact you direct.

Regards,

Alan.

albacore43

Post by albacore43 »

Hello Alan

You can contact me direct on Albacore42@aol.com

Regards

Dick

aptanet
Site Admin

Re: Otter 530 Spare Mast

Post by aptanet »

Southern377 wrote:as I don't think the pm facility here works.
Private messages are enabled, have you had problems? I do need to tweak the template as the top doesn't display properly, but as far as I know everything is working properly. I'll have to try a PM and see.

cweed

Post by cweed »

Hi, Aptanet, (and also Albacore)
In a previous reply to my posting on this topic, Albacore said he'd (or she'd) sent me a pm which you also may want to know I have yet to receive...........
I was going to try tosend one myself, but couldn't easily find how.
Bye the bye, thanks for the website. Is your intention to restart an Otter Class Association?
Best wishes, etc.

aptanet
Site Admin

Post by aptanet »

Hi cweed,

There's an icon on the left under the member details that looks like a head and shoulders with 'pm' next to it. That should bring up a similar page to the one to post a forum message for a private message. Depending on your preferences you may get an email notification of the message. Either way you'll get an indication of any new messages at the top of the page when you log in. It is possible to both disable email notification of private messages, and prevent people from sending you private messages, but the default is to have both enabled.

As for the Otter class association, I hadn't thought about restarting it. I set up the forum when I couldn't find much information about the Otter as a quick an easy way to make some available and allow people to add to it. I was never a member of the association before so don't have any details of what was done before, or (sadly) any of the class information - although you have just reminded me I have some scans of a few bits that I really should make available on here.
Paul Tansom
Sailsite Forums Administrator
BDMLR Marine Mammal Medic
--
https://www.plsa.org.uk/ | https://www.kyoa.org.uk/
https://www.aptanet.com/ | https://www.linuxlore.co.uk/