tyre pressures

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

albacore43

tyre pressures

Post by albacore43 »

I have purchased an otter which I am collecting in a few days time with my own Snipe trailer.

I know that the boat is going to need some degree of renovation (my chosen winter project), so you can be sure that I shall be seeking opinions on this site from people that have done the job before me!

However, can anybody inform me what pressure I should have in the trailer tyres. (8x400).
I have always had conflicting advice on the subject. I have visited the manufacturers website as someone suggested, but surprisingly no help there.
It has been suggested that I use the "max pressure" figure as shown on the tyre wall, but I cannot imagine 100 lbs psi being advisable.
Another has been to adjust the pressure "to suit" the weight being carried (appox 250 lbs to include the trolley that comes with the boat). That may be sensible, but what is the starting point from which to "adjust" and what degree of adjustment should there be!
I think that I should have registered on this site as "confused.com". Knowledgable suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

cweed

Re: tyre pressures

Post by cweed »

Hello.
I usually inflate my 8" road wheels to 27 ~30 psi. This makes the tyre hard enough not to distort. I certainly wouldn't try 100psi!
I use about 20psi for launching trolley wheels.
Good lick with the boat.