Otter 134

Discussion forum for the Otter class of sailing dinghy

Moderator: aptanet

Jon

Otter 134

Post by Jon »

I purchased an Otter with sail-number 134 back in March. (although this is also the original PY number -so maybe someone got confused along the line? But the other features seem to indicate that this number is about right)
It was built by John Baker, Kenton Forge, has a single skin GRP hull and gunter rig.
I have it on the Avon at Tewkesbury and it has been great for taking the family out in and getting the kids sailing. It is generally very stable but will go into a death-roll on a dead run with goose-wings out and the centre-board up: I have capsized like this once while racing.
The PN number of 1275 seems a little mean for the antique rig and I am stil working on not coming in last.
The jib sheets probably do sit a little to far out as I have found that applying a little tension on the opposite sheet allows the Otter to point up a little more. I am going to try pulling them in a little and see if my fortunes improve.
Attachments
otter.jpg
otter.jpg (42.17 KiB) Viewed 8112 times

cweed

Re: Otter 134

Post by cweed »

I was interested to read of your capsize................ For future reference(?) I wonder how easy the boat was to right, did it turn turtle at all (or even quickly? ) and did you get back in over the side or have to cllimb in over the transom? Presumably there was a boat full of water in it when righted?
The builder of your boat, Gmach, also built Kestrels which were one of the first all glass dinghies. I can't remember the builder of my boat , no 199 until the next visit.

Jon

Post by Jon »

It didn't turn turtle no - but there was a stiff breeze straight into the cockpit which may have been keeping it on its side. It righted fairly easily, although you could probably break the centreboard if you were too eager. I got in over the side but needed to use the main sail a little to balance my weight by getting in on the windward side with the boat. I was pleased with how dry it was when it came up: I had bailed it out by the time I got to the downwind buoy and continued racing.

crow

Post by crow »

I sailed for three years without capsizing then my daughter managed to several times in one day. I then did the same! Each time we turtled, luckily there was a safety boat as I couldn't right her without help.