Enquiry on Engine type and size on Kingfisher 22

Kingfisher Yacht Owners Association - discussion area of owners of Kingfisher yachts (20, 20 Plus, 26, 30 and 30S).

Moderator: aptanet

diablo1952

Enquiry on Engine type and size on Kingfisher 22

Post by diablo1952 »

From Intrest point of view
Could anyone tell me the original recommended Engine for my Kingfisher 22, at present I have a 5HP Evinrude and a pair of Seagull's 2hp & 4hp.

Best regards
Paul
Paul Medland

aptanet
Site Admin

Post by aptanet »

Well the outboard well was designed around the Johnson 6HP as it was back then. Engines have improved in the drive they can produce for a given engine size and I am more than happy with the Yamaha 5HP unit I have in mine. This itself is a few years old, but I should imagine that any modern 5HP outboard should push the boat well enough so long as they fit in the well - which I believe most do, although the 4 stroke engines may be a little large.

I did purchase a Yamha 8HP that had been installed in a K20+ just prior to getting my current 5HP one, but what I didn't realise was that the engine well had been modified to accomodate it (and I don't think the owner I bought it from was aware either). Thankfully I got more as a trade in for the new engine than I paid, so I wasn't too worried :)